In 1940, Dr. Reich, an Austrian immigrant, made the scientific discovery of a previously unknown energy existing in the atmosphere, in space, and within all living organisms.
He called it orgone, which is synonymous with ‘life energy.’
He observed that the orgone energy charge in the human biosystem was expressed in emotion, sexuality, and could be measured bioelectrically. Through a number of experiments, he showed that a personâ€™s overall vitality and aliveness was a function of human and atmospheric orgone charges and pulsations, and that physical vitality could be increased by sitting inside a so-called orgone accumulator.
He also discovered that the orgone charge of your tissues is a fundamental part of your immune system. People were able to significantly boost their immune function by sitting in Dr. Reichâ€™s orgone accumulator for approximately 30 minutes a day for several days.
The results were so incredible, in fact, that Dr. Theodore Wolfe, a pioneer in psychosomatic medicine, referred to the orgone accumulator as ‘the most important single discovery in the history of medicine, bar none.’
Although orgone energy is near impossible to define or explain, the following properties of orgone were deduced by Dr. Reich:
- It is mass free, i.e. orgone energy itself has no inertia or weight.
- It is present everywhere; it fills all space. It is present in differing degrees or concentrations or “charges”, but nowhere is it absent. It even exists in a vacuum.
- It is the medium for electromagnetic and gravitational phenomena. (It is the medium in which light moves and electromagnetic and gravitational fields exert force.)
- It is in constant motion, which can be observed under appropriate conditions. There are at least two characteristic types of motion: a pulsation or alternating expansion and contraction, and a flow, normally along a curving path.
- It contradicts the law of entropy as orgone energy is attracted to concentrations of orgone energy. Unlike heat or electricity, which always show a direction from higher to lower potential, orgone energy flows from lower orgonotic potential to higher.
In addition to the orgone accumulator, Dr. Reich also developed other devices such as small motors that ran on orgone pulled from the ambient air, and devices that could create rain during drought by affecting atmospheric orgone!
The Persecution of Medical and Scientific Genius
His work did not garner him worldwide acclaim as one might expect from such a remarkable discovery, however.
His work was methodically criticized and grossly misrepresented in popular magazine articles. Eventually, the medical community encouraged the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to seek and obtain a court injunction to stop Dr. Reich from researching, writing, and speaking about orgone.
Ultimately, he was charged with contempt of court for the technical violation of an obscure cosmetic labeling law, which sent him and an associate, Dr. Silvert, to prison.
His books and research were ordered banned from interstate commerce and were burned.
Victims of elaborate smear campaigns by the medical community and pharmaceutical interests, Dr. Reich died in prison in 1957 while Dr. Silvert committed suicide shortly after his release.
Such has been the fate of many a brilliant, innovative doctor and scientist who dared turn established medical conventions on its ear’